Breitbart: Mindy Kaling's Brother Lied About Being Black To Get Into Med School, Calls Affirmative Action "Racist"

Originally published at Breitbart.

The older brother of actress Mindy Kaling has revealed after struggling to pursue his dream of becoming a doctor, he was finally accepted into medical school after he lied about his race to appear black during the admissions process.

Vijay Chokal-Ingam, an Indian-American, gave himself a buzz cut, and trimmed what he describes as his “long Indian eyelashes” fifteen years ago, in order to look more African-American. He then began identifying himself as “black” on medical school applications.

“In my junior year of college, I realized that I didn’t have the grades or test scores to get into medical school, at least not as an Indian-American,” he now says. “Still, I was determined to become a doctor and I knew that admission standards for certain minorities under affirmative action were, let’s say… less stringent?

Vijay became Jojo, and walked away from the South Asian Student Association, and instead aligned himself with the Organization of Black Students.

The Indian-American claims he soon found himself interviewing at both Harvard and Columbia, and was put on waiting lists at other reputable schools.

Chokal-Ingam is authoring a new memoir, titled Almost Black: The True Story of an Indian American Who Got Into Medical School Posing as an African American. He has posted details of his successful swindle on his website.

Despite an underwhelming 3.1 GPA, new doors were opened for him, just by a change of race, he claims.

The now 38-year-old says he is authoring the book because: “My experiences applying to medical school as a black man impressed on me the injustice created by the system of legalized racism called affirmative action. This system destroys the dreams of millions of Indian-American, Asian American, and white applicants for employment and higher education.”

Chokal-Ingam believes Affirmative Action creates negative stereotypes about the academic abilities and professional skills of African-American and Hispanic professionals, who “don’t need special assistance in order to compete with other minority groups.”

He ended up dropping out of St. Louis University Medical School two years after his admission, but eventually graduated from UCLA as an Indian-American.

“My experiences at UCLA showed me that Affirmative Action is not required,” he said.

Chokal-Ingam told the New York Post he authored the book after he was informed his alma mater is considering strengthening its affirmative-action admissions policies.

“I disclosed that I didn’t receive financial aid from the University of Chicago, and that I had a nice car,” he said. “I was the campus rich kid, let’s just put it on the table. And yet they considered me an affirmative-action applicant.”

His sister, Mindy Kaling is best known for her roles on The Mindy Project, The Office, This is the End and The 40-Year-Old Virgin.

He told the Post, “I love my sister to death.” The two are reportedly at odds over his upcoming book. “She says this will bring shame on the family,” he said.

A representative for Kaling told Us Weekly Monday: “Mindy has been estranged from her brother for years. She was not aware of his decision to apply to medical school under a different name and race.”

“I got into medical school because I said I was black,” he said in his blog. “The funny thing is I’m not. My plan actually worked. Lucky for you, I never became a doctor.”

Chokal-Ingam remains active on Twitter, sharing his opinions of Affirmative Action policies:

Read more at Breitbart.

Death of a Nation is in theaters nationwide now! Click here to get tickets now.

Happy Easter! Here's The Evidence For Life After Death
Hannity: D'Souza On Indiana's Religious Freedom Law
TIME: Hillary Clinton Permanently Deleted Her Emails
Yahoo News: Republican Chairman Says Clinton Wiped Email Server "Clean"
WND: Ted Cruz Says "Our Rights Come From God Almighty"
FOX: Critics Blast New Obama Regs For Fracking On Federal Lands
CNN: Obama Says "Maybe It's Time for Mandatory Voting"
Washington Times: Rusty Humphries Talks With D'Souza

Sign up to be notified about theaters in your area! Enter your email below and we'll send you more information.

• Mike says:

April 7, 2015 at 9:05 PM

You are SOOOO right! I was a Buyer for a MAJOR automotive OEM, and I used to attend the South Region Minority Business Development Council dinners, to celebrate “diversity.” Believe me, there was ZERO diversity! NO Asian/Pacific Islanders, NO Hispanics, NO Native Americans, etc…

• ruu722 says:

April 7, 2015 at 9:46 PM

And I have always been told that kind of racism doesnt exist….we have a black president, OJ gets off for being black…come on…its time to take away the separatisms and put things back together as human beings

• CONSTANCE BALITSKY says:

April 7, 2015 at 11:18 PM

I HAVE SEEN YOUR TWO MOVIES, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, THANKS FOR CARING.

• lefty Hall says:

April 7, 2015 at 11:46 PM

I don’t see the difference
    Still looks the same
    He is still not White,
    Could’ve got in anyway with that typically average gpa
    Paki

• JoAnne Schnepp says:

April 8, 2015 at 1:48 AM

Dinesh, I admire you and your views. Both of your movies were fantastic and oh so true. On this topic, I would say that first of all, we need to get back to where we hire, give admission to or otherwise support the person who is most qualified for the position they are seeking to fulfill. As a retired RN, with a recent experience with my own elderly Mom in the hospital for a week, I am concerned about the huge numbers of foreigners in health care, who cannot speak adequate English for even ME….a 70 yr old retired RN to understand….much less an 89 yr old woman with dementia! I have read that under Obamacare…..approvals to those who apply to medical school ARE going to go to minorities first. I am certainly NOT against minorities, but this affirmative action is wrong. When it comes to dealing with someone’s life, we need people who WANT to be in their fields; who CAN communicate with patients and who really have the smarts to learn all that is required. We do NOT need a system that is just there to perform some type of ‘social justice’ so the score is evened up for members of society. I have not worked in a hospital since 2003 and I was appalled at how much health care has gone down the tubes! I was told by a charge nurse on one shift, that it’s all gotten nearly impossible to give good care or put together the right staffing since Obamacare rules hit hospitals about a year ago. This affirmative action crap is just going to make it more and more harder to give good care!

• Tonia says:

April 8, 2015 at 9:36 AM

The sad thing here is that we’re wasting resources on students who aren’t prepared for the work required in medical school. Scholars have known for decades that most affirmative-action candidates don’t get degrees. Why? Because the grades and test scores that would have disqualified them if they had been white indicate that they aren’t ready for the challenge. Not that black students are any less intelligent, but the kids who make it in Ivy league schools are usually being groomed for that sort of education from birth. They come from high-achieving families, attend fancy preschools and elite private schools, and are highly driven in pretty much everything they do. By the time they hit Harvard, they’re used to that level of discipline. Even an incredibly gifted kid from a working class neighborhood probably isn’t. So, instead of matching black students with programs where they can succeed, we set them up for failure in the name of quotes. What really worries me is the outcome when these same institutions are pressured to graduate at certain racial percentages. What happens then? Do you really want the doctor who got his degree because they needed another black graduate?

• Nancy says:

April 8, 2015 at 10:30 AM

When colleges are forced to except a certain percentage of students from every racial group so they can be “diverse” students will be chose according to race instead of academic achievement. In the solution to the problem more in-equality is being created.

• catfish says:

April 8, 2015 at 7:38 PM

Affirmative Action includes education, hiring and promotion. The black race now controls most city, state and federal agencies and that is why Ohomo feels so comfortable. It is theft when it started and still is today America has went to hell during this period. The only way to restore America is to return to the merit system. As a federal manager for 25 of a 33 year career, I had a front row seat to this theft. The Legal tax paying citizens have footed the total cost of this inefficiency.

• Adam of Portland says:

April 8, 2015 at 8:36 PM

Not enough data is listed for one to conclude race is the reason for admission or rejection here. Despite classes required, different majors, work experiences, recommendations and other hardship conditions are also considered. Unless EVERYTHING is perfectly identical aside from race, what we are looking at is inconclusive.

• Sam Jackson says:

April 10, 2015 at 3:55 AM

You know that picture is not true, right?
    He did not apply twice; He applied once to each school and got admitted. He is surmising that if he had applied as an Indian American he would have gotten rejected.
    Why is this a story?

• Toni Gill Fletcher says:

April 10, 2015 at 10:26 PM

This dishonest approach to gain entrance to Graduate school should not be rewarded by anyone buying this book. It’s an insult to those of us like myself, a 3rd generation Mexican American, who worked so hard to get into Grad School through the proper channels. I sacrificed a social life and lived in the library so that I could stay on the Dean’s list in college and get into Grad school. Then I finished the credential program all the while continuing to pursue my MA. I worked full time teaching middle school once I received my teaching credential and during that time, I was still a full time Grad Student. It took so much time, effort and energy to finish up my MA in Counseling–All the while teaching 6 classes of English–2 to Non English speakers. I still worked my tail off to stay on the Dean’s List & Graduate with Honors. The fact that this guy got in because of Affirmative Action & trickery makes me see red. To add insult to injury, he boasts about it & writes a book, showing no remorse. His sister is right. He does bring shame…not to the family but to himself. There are minorities out there who don’t need Affirmative Action to get into Grad School–they just work hard. I’ve always found as a teacher that if I raise the bar, those who desire to achieve and care about their grades will rise to the challenge. If I lower my expectations, students will do less than their best. This guy is a piece of work

• Francis says:

April 11, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Toni Gill proves the point made by this article even while trying to refute it. The article says “Chokal-Ingam believes Affirmative Action creates negative stereotypes about the academic abilities and professional skills of African-American and Hispanic professionals, who ‘don’t need special assistance in order to compete with other minority groups.'”

And that is exactly what Toni doesn’t want. Toni sounds like someone that earned his way into grad school instead of letting affirmative action give him a way in. Toni also sounds like someone that is offended that people would say he got in using affirmative action.

I applaud this article for showing the damage that an affirmative action program causes.

• Julie says:

April 13, 2015 at 7:29 PM

I have personally read and have always known for many years that when taking SATs or any other really important test ( this was also proven when they lowered the bar/standard because the blacks were not doing very well for themselves when they try to become police officers or firefighters because they were certainly athletically qualified, but did poorly in the general I.Q. Or whatever the test was to gain entry, that they ACTUALLY DID, IN FACT LOWER the bar / standards and made the written test easier for them to pass the written part because almost all applicants were on a third to fifth grade level of education. This was on the news a while back because some of those black applicants complained that the test itself was racist because it was a test that was “intentionally” created by Caucasions to make blacks fail! I could not believe what I was really hearing with my own ears and seeing with my own eyes what the news reports were actually saying! But then too, it doesn’t really surprise me much because when aids came on the scene, the blacks were complaining that AIDS was a disease created by the white man to get rid of them! So AIDS was created in a secret government laboratory to kill off the blacks since they were the first group of races had an EXTREMELY OBVIOUSLY THE HIGHEST GROUP WHO ARE CARRIERS OF IT, and it STARTED in Africa and spread quickly throughout this particular race of people, you know by those pesky Mosquitos! Well then, you geniuses did not factor in the gays (who are also getting aides at higher rate besides the blacks and african people are really the ones with the higher rates and needle using junkies are usually the poor blacks in da hood from what I have already knew anout