WND: Costco Removing D'Souza's "America" From Shelves

Originally published at WND.

Bestseller disappearing as companion movie hits theaters

The retail giant Costco Wholesale has issued an order to remove all copies of Dinesh D’Souza’s bestselling book America: Imagine the World Without Her from the shelves of its stores nationwide, WND has confirmed.

The book, in this mid-term election year, is a strong rebuttal of the progressive ideology behind President Obama’s policies, which have been supported by Costco co-founder and director Jim Senegal, a major Democrat donor and a speaker at the 2012 Democratic National Convention that nominated the president. A Washington Post political reporter has noted Obama’s “romance” with the nation’s second-largest retailer.

At Amazon.com, D’Souza’s book, released June 2, is ranked No. 43 overall and is the No. 3 hardcover book in Amazon’s Politics and Government section and No. 1 in the Commentary and Opinion subsection of Politics and Government.

Costco has sold more than 3,600 copies of America nationwide, with about 700 copies sold last week as D’Souza’s film by the same name opened at more than 1,000 movie theaters nationwide.

costco-dsouza

But Costco’s book department issued the “pull-order,” requiring all Costco stores nationwide to remove the book, confirmed Scott Losse, an inventory control specialist in the book department at the Costco Wholesale corporate office in Issaquah, Wash., a suburb of Seattle.

The July 1 order required all copies to be removed by July 15.

Contacted for a reaction, D’Souza was surprised to learn of the Costco decision.

“If true, this would be very odd,” D’Souza said.

“We’re in the process of finding out what’s happening. I look forward to getting to the bottom of this and continuing the strong relationship my publisher and I have always had with Costco and their millions of shoppers.”

Most Costco stores WND contacted Monday had already pulled America from the shelves, with others scheduled to remove it with their regularly scheduled inventory changes Tuesday or Wednesday this week.

A few Costco stores told inquirers Monday they were “in luck,” because a handful of books were still available and a few copies remained in the warehouse waiting to be returned. Staffers offered to put aside a book so it could be purchased before all copies were shipped back to the vendor.

WND contacted by telephone and email Costco’s national book-buyer, Pennie Clark Ianniciello, at Costco’s headquarters, but received no response to WND‘s questions regarding why D’Souza’s book was being pulled from the shelves just as the companion movie was opening in theaters.

WND was unable to reach by phone or email Marji Ross, the president of Regnery, which published D’Souza’s book.

Missing from the New York Times list

Amazon readers have given America an average rating of 4.6 out of 5.

The Washington Examiner reported June 20 that the book sold 4,915 in the first week and 5,592 in the second week but mysteriously was kept off the New York Times bestseller list, where it would have ranked No. 8 and then No. 11 on the June 29 list.

D’Souza told the Examiner: “It’s their newspaper, and they have a right to rig their list anyway they want, but if they are doing it, people should know.”

He said the New York Times list is important to boosting sales.

“It matters to be on it,” he said.

The book will be on the Times July 13 list, however, at No. 17.

The movie America, which has been given a rare “A+” CinemaScore by audiences, opened in 1,105 theaters nationwide to roughly $4 million over the five-day July 4 holiday weekend.

It didn’t do as well as D’Souza’s 2012 breakout hit, 2016: Obama’s America, which enjoyed a remarkable $6.5 million debut on its way to $33 million, but the November election between Obama and Republican Mitt Romney was clearly a factor, noted TheWrap, website that covers Hollywood.

“We didn’t expect to open as well as that film for that reason,” co-director John Sullivan told TheWrap. “But the word of mouth on America is tremendous, even better than on ‘2016,’ and we think it’s going to build in the coming weeks.”

Sullivan commented that for a documentary “without Justin Bieber or animals in it, I think we did pretty darn well.”

Obama’s ‘romance’ with Costco

In January, Obama paid a visit to a Costco store in a Washington, D.C., suburb, “proving,” as Jaime Fuller of the Washington Post commented, “that his administration’s romance with the second-largest retailer in America is stronger than ever – and might just be the most successful union of a politician and a supermarket in American history.”

Costco co-founder and director James D. Sinegal spoke at the Democratic National Convention in 2012, which nominated President Obama for a second term.

American companies, he said, need “a president who takes the long view and makes the tough decisions,” said Sinegal.

“That’s why I am here tonight supporting President Obama, a president making an economy built to last,” he said.

Fuller said that in the 2012 campaign, Costco played “an important role in countering Walmart’s support of Republican candidates and issues while also proving an easy way for Obama to mention income inequality and smart job creation on the campaign trail.”

In total, Costco has given $100,000 to Obama and another $100,000 to Priorities USA, the pro-Obama super PAC.

Sinegal was the author of an email blast sent out by the Obama campaign in July 2012. Obama also held a fundraiser at Sinegal’s house in Seattle, during which incumbent president said “the story of Costco and everything that you guys have done I think is representative of what America is all about.”

Read more at WND.

Available now, Dinesh D’Souza’s new book The Big Lie exposes the Left’s biggest lie yet: their campaign to paint conservatives as Nazis to cover up their own fascism.

The Big Lie social banner

Click here to order your signed copy today or find a retailer near you!

PRNewswire: D'Souza's "America" Soars With 60% Fourth Of July Spike And #9 Per Screen Average In Solid $4 Million Debut
ABC News: World Without "America" on "This Week"
WND: "America" Earns A+ Rating, Rockets Past Hillary
Hollywood Reporter: Why Dinesh D'Souza's "America" Features Clips of Matt Damon, Woody Harrelson
Hollywood Reporter: D'Souza's "America" Soars on the 4th
Breitbart: L.A. Rolls out the Red Carpet for D'Souza's "America" Premiere
TheCollegeConservative: Vladimir Davidiuk Reviews "America"
TheBlaze: Dinesh D'Souza and Bill Ayers Battle During Contentious "Kelly File" Debate

• Susan says:

July 7, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Don’t worry, Dinesh. Amazon will sell a ton of them, and I already wrote Costco and told them off. As for me, I got the book—from AMAZON—two weeks ago. VERY enlightening. I’m planning to see the movie this week. God bless you, Dinesh; you’ve done the United States proud.

• jimmy wright says:

July 7, 2014 at 10:45 pm

have been a regular customer at costco for years. i swear i will never shop there again. i hate this political crap.

• David Lovitt says:

July 7, 2014 at 11:14 pm

Done with Costco. Going to buy Sam’s membership tomorrow.

• Bill Timmins says:

July 7, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Just one more time of obama being afraid of the TRUTH ! !

• Jennifer Foster says:

July 7, 2014 at 11:21 pm

We are living in NAZI Germany right now. Everyone needs to post this to their friends and family and boycott Costco FOREVER!!! This is censorship of the most sinister kind. An American Company that American consumers helped to build is destroying our ability to freely read what we wish to read. I hope this story gets bigger and bigger because even the democrats will go out and buy the book. I lived in Berlin before the wall came down and in East Germany you had two choices in the music stores–Engelbert Humperdink and Classical Music. The same thing is happening here! Wake up ALL AMERICANS and start fighting for our constitutional rights. This is a very SICK and TWISTED company indeed and I will never step foot in any Costco ever again and I will tell all my friends and family to never step foot in any Costco ever again. We, the people, have the power to bring this company to it’s knees. By the way Dinesh, when you decide to run for President, let me know and I would be happy to work my butt off fighting for the values that you are trying to save in the is great country of ours! Thank you for trying to wake up the blind and lost who have had the progressive fairy dust put in their eyes which has made us all fall asleep and not notice what has been happening to our great land. Our democracy is being taken apart by the progressive left one silent stone at a time.

• Connie Hackney says:

July 7, 2014 at 11:29 pm

I already read the book on my iPad ;o) I really enjoyed it!

• Melba Brandyberry says:

July 7, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Well Costco….we were thinking of becoming a member, but since you turned out to be communist I will keep my membership with Sams Club. Don’t want to have anything to do with a company that pulls books off their shelves because of it telling like it is……leave the book America on your shelves or be condemned as a communist and anti-American.
    AND….who kisses up to that muslim leader in Washington, DC.

May God have mercy on your company. Everyone should pull their membership from your company……..

• Barbara says:

July 7, 2014 at 11:37 pm

I am a member of Costco. I’m planning on terminating membership with this display of partisan censorship. This film is true to the core and should be promoted. This administration came into power to destroy this country by sending it into decline on par with a third world country. He is the first occupant of our house that hates this country.

• Eric says:

July 7, 2014 at 11:39 pm

Silencing those who they disagree with is a core tenant of liberalism.

• Peter says:

July 7, 2014 at 11:41 pm

Because as we all know, Democrats are true believers in free speech and thoughtful exchange of ideas. And of course, the Dems simply adore the Constitution…

• Mike Schulthies says:

July 7, 2014 at 11:52 pm

First I would like to thank you for making this movie. I new some of the facts, but learned so much that I was not aware of. I verified every one of them myself. A good friend took me to see the movie today, and so many things fell into place. GOD bless you in your work, and may he keep you in his hedge of protection always.

Mike Schulthies

• Kell Brigan says:

July 7, 2014 at 11:53 pm

When are we going to impeach this psycho bully? Enough is enough. This guy’s got to go!

• glenn says:

July 7, 2014 at 11:59 pm

Take a stand and stop shopping at costco

• Janice G says:

July 8, 2014 at 12:07 am

Saw the movie this evening with my daughter, her boyfriend and my husband. God bless you Dinesh! Great film! Please consider doing some historical films geared towards ages 10-20! We need to focus on our youth! They are inundated with progressive nonsense 24/7!

• Lana Holland says:

July 8, 2014 at 12:22 am

I cancelled my membership. No place for politics.

• Irwin Graulich says:

July 8, 2014 at 12:23 am

Costco is a public company and if Senegal is using his political obsessions to influence Costco shoppers without regard for profits, both he and Costco should be prosecuted by the Securities and Exchange Commission and other governmental watchdog agencies.

• Garry says:

July 8, 2014 at 12:30 am

I have been a Costco member since 2001. I will start severing ties with them soon. It will create a financial hardship, but there are more important things at stake here. I will be forwarding a letter on behalf of truth-tellers across the country as well.

– Garry

• Sandra Lemley says:

July 8, 2014 at 12:31 am

censorship!!!!

• Robin Williams says:

July 8, 2014 at 12:50 am

I don’t need Costco, contrary to their belief. So bye-bye to their business.

• Roger Hill says:

July 8, 2014 at 12:58 am

Was considering switching from Sams to Costco………This just made up my mind…….Nope!

• Gerry Blumberg says:

July 8, 2014 at 1:08 am

This is the response I received back from Costco:
    Gerry- Costco does not make purchasing decisions based on personal or political leanings. Each item we carry must meet sales thresholds in order for us to continue to stock them.

We purchased this item with the best intentions when it came out on June 2nd, unfortunately it was not meeting the necessary thresholds and was a part of our normal weekly returns effective July 1, 2014. -Chris

• karen says:

July 8, 2014 at 1:23 am

Glad I didn’t renew my membership. Who needs them!! Anyone who supportive of destroying this country by encouraging illegal immigration is not worth a second look at!! You’re a scum Jim!!!

• JR says:

July 8, 2014 at 1:24 am

Didn’t we all hear from this sitting jokester in chief leading up to 2012 election that what Romney did with Staples was just the republican right rich and he was out of touch with the masses? Or something to that nature. I know the left called out Romney and demonized him in relation to Staples. So Costco is representative of what america is all about but Romney’s Staples is un-american?? Help me here guys.

• karen says:

July 8, 2014 at 2:09 am

Done with Costco buying book from Amazon. Keep fighting the good fight. America stands with you, certainly not with Obama.

• Jim says:

July 8, 2014 at 2:14 am

Well I was going to renew my Costco membership this month but instead I’ll wait until Senegal ends his anti-American censorship policy.

• Melinda Mincey says:

July 8, 2014 at 3:47 am

Our country is at it’s lowest level that I have ever known in my 73 years of living.
    Cosco never was my choice always have chosen Sam’s. I don’t support companies that violate my freedoms!!
    I am so over all if this political injustice ! Impeach the SOB and take our country back !!!

• Loret says:

July 8, 2014 at 5:25 am

I cancelled my Costco membership and now with Sam’s, btw.. BJ’s also a good alternatives both have more quality merhandise not Kirkland brand… hope people will stop to boycott Costco..

• frances quinn says:

July 8, 2014 at 5:36 am

Banning books, that sure sounds familiar………………..in Nazi Germany. Another Obama crybaby action…………….I would never go to Costco. We should all call up their stores and ask for rhei book. Apparently the book and the movie are making people rethink the country and the liberal destruction. I will buy the book on Amazon….the heck with Costco.

• Tom Woods says:

July 8, 2014 at 6:02 am

Perhaps we should all have book burning parties at costcos all across the country. Watch how fast they call authorities, yet have no problem with the symbolism of book burning by refusal of sales.

• Kathy says:

July 8, 2014 at 6:17 am

What has happened to “freedom of speech” in America! Wow, when are we going to get OUR America back???

• Keith Harwell says:

July 8, 2014 at 8:56 am

I was going to switch my medications over to Costco. I guess not. He Bully’s CEO’s now. Spineless ones. So much for free speech.

• Alan says:

July 8, 2014 at 9:12 am

I work for Costco at a location in the Los Angeles region (for the last 25 years). Costco usually carries books for about a month, and then pulls and ships back whatever we have on hand at the end of it’s time run. We’ve had this book for a month. This is normal. Besides, the WND article says that 700 sold nationwide last week? Out of over 400 locations? Less than two copies a week per location isn’t going to force a buyer to extend it’s typical run.

If Costco was trying to censor conservatives, then we wouldn’t carry all of the other conservative books by Rush Limbaugh, Mark Levin, Glenn Beck, Ann Coulter, etc, etc.

This story makes it sound like Costco is pulling the book because Jim Sinegal (who isn’t part of the decision making process anyway) is/was an Obama supporter. Not true.

Look, I hate Obama and Democrats more than most people, but this is a case of a right-wing blog trying to sensationalize a non-story in order to get attention and sell advertising clicks. So please, if you go into a building to vent your hostility at “Costco” for being a “communist” company, remember that the employee you’re screaming at had absolutely NOTHING to do with the decision.

• Laura Bagg says:

July 8, 2014 at 9:13 am

Don’t just tear up your membership, go to the store and demand a full refund! Their website states: “Membership:
    We will refund your membership fee in full at any time if you are dissatisfied.”

• Michael says:

July 8, 2014 at 9:55 am

Goodbye Costco … Just unsubscribed your emails and canceled my membership. My country is more important than your pathetic company. I feel bad for your employees.

• JOE ALEXICH says:

July 8, 2014 at 10:00 am

Sad that the Democracts have to force everything they stand for down everyones throat.Vote for change in 2014-2016.

• akble says:

July 8, 2014 at 10:09 am

well am glad I have a Sam’s available also – goodbye Costco- last straw

• Rhonda Meehan says:

July 8, 2014 at 10:11 am

Remember, Costco makes it’s profit from membership fees, otherwise they would lose money. So, don’t just stop shopping there, call and cancel your membership. From their website:

Membership: We will refund your membership fee in full at any time if you are dissatisfied.

Be polite, but be sure to explain why you are cancelling.

• susan cross says:

July 8, 2014 at 10:44 am

I hate Sams..lost my card in there and eventually had to pay over 5000. dollars for things I did not purchase. So I went to Costco’s…well now I will not shop at Costco’s anymore either. These big company’s need to understand we don’t want to be manipulated by their political believes…they need to keep it out of the store’s!!! After all there are republicans and dems both who spend their hard earned money there!!!! You just lost a customer. And I’m spreading the word on fb about you!!!

• Phil McMorrow says:

July 8, 2014 at 11:00 am

Costco is complicit in a subtle form of Nazi inspired book burning, IMHO.

• Gwen says:

July 8, 2014 at 11:20 am

I have to laugh at this, and at the reactionary response of readers…Costco carries roughly 20 hardback books – total – at any given time. This one is number 43 on the best sellers list. It hasn’t sold well – the numbers don’t lie – it has sold 3600 copies, over 627 warehouses – that’s less than 6 copies per warehouse over a 5 week span – so – 1, maybe 2 each week, per warehouse. It’s not moving. Books typically last about 2 – 3 weeks at Costco (I used to stock their book table) – this one has been there for 5 weeks. Any chance this is a BUSINESS decision, NOT a political one? Come on people, not EVERYTHING is political – some things really ARE business.

• Karen Godin says:

July 8, 2014 at 11:55 am

COSTCO is history as far as we’re concerned. AMAZON will get our business.
    Saw “America” last wknd, and all of my children will be seeing it today. Thank you for loving America as we do!

• john boy says:

July 8, 2014 at 12:35 pm

E-mail the store and said will not shop there anymore…..

• Anthony Mendez says:

July 8, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Stopped shopping there a while back. Never liked their politics.

• Carol Lugg says:

July 8, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I have heard several comments that we should boycott Costco forever, and never step foot inside again, and that we could bring them to their knees as a company. I agree that what Costco has done is wrong, but sometimes when we as a whole get angry, companies change their mind and will issue an apology of sorts, and put the item back on the shelves. This is what happened with Cracker Barrel and Duck Dynasty. We don’t shop at Costco, only because Sam’s is easier to get to in our town, but if we did, yes, we would not shop there. We would, however, go back to shopping there once they changed. We would want to in essence, say, “Thank you” for them being willing to go back and fix what they did wrong. Just some thoughts.

• Glen says:

July 8, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I am cutting up my Costco card and won’t get another one until I hear Dinesh books are back on the shelves.

• Cindy says:

July 8, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I can deal with Costco not having it hard copy since I live on an island run by Dems. What I can’t deal with is Dinesh and/or his publisher choosing to not make it available on Kindle! Come on! Millions of us rely on our Kindles.

• ChrisA says:

July 8, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Never been a Costco customer, and with this revelation I never will shop there. In fact, I will do all I can to make sure people know about this blatant censorship. Keep up the good work, Dinesh. Saw the movie on the 4th and I think it should be required viewing for every high school U.S. History class. You tell the truth, no matter how inconvenient for the left. As for buying the book, Amazon is my preferred vendor.

• Brenda Dunlevy says:

July 8, 2014 at 1:44 pm

THIS IS WHAT ALL COSTCO MEMBERS SHOULD DO…Go to your Costco and fill your cart to the brim with perishable items…frozen foods, meats, produce, you name it…then find a sales person and ask if they could help you find the book “America”. When they tell you they have pulled them from their shelves, simply walk to the a out of the way part of the store and leave your cart full of perishable items for them to restock.

• bob says:

July 8, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Thanks Dinesh, Going see the show tonight, I was in Costco when my wife explain to me about your book. Well we also have a business that resells some of Costco items. I don’t always agree with their products discontinuation practice but this does seem unusual enough for us to cancel our membership. If it doesn’t hurt the pocket its not worth doing, this will hurt us and Costco. Know that I love and honor Jesus, my Family and America more than their poor decision in forwarding their part in the destruction of the Truth. May God Bless and Guide you. Bob

• Glad Grey says:

July 8, 2014 at 2:09 pm

This is a shock! But then, why should we be shocked? After 6 years of being divested of our national and international standing, we’re feeling “shell-shocked”!! Enough already!! We want our wonderful country back!! Impeachment is too good for him and his cronies; Holder, Kerry, Biden, Clinton, Reid, Pelosi, Costco — all need to be gone!! The movie “America…” is magnificent. Dinesh is a genius!!

• Flash Kellam says:

July 8, 2014 at 2:14 pm

“Sinegal, who retired as Costco CEO in January 2013, said Obama’s re-election would be better for businesses than a country led by Mitt Romney.”
    Sorry, I couldn’t stop laughing.

• Patricia Perez says:

July 8, 2014 at 2:39 pm

‘Well off’ OR ‘barely hanging in there’…’Saving money’ is NOT even a consideration…when it comes to ‘standing up’ against Costco’s decision to use ‘book CENSORSHIP’! The REMOVAL of this book: ‘America imagine a World without her’ is a Big MISTAKE, on the part of Costco! I had never taken into consideration, Costco’s political leanings…until NOW, but Costco’s action is UN-American. We renewed our business membership, just a couple months ago. I will talk with my husband and I think that we need to just cancel our card, at our local store and get refunded. There are other places to shop, and save money. Some things you can NOT buy…and FREEDOM is at the TOP of that LIST.

• Scott Reed (PHX AZ) says:

July 8, 2014 at 3:06 pm

I find this to be extremely disappointing as I like shopping at Costco. Although they have the right to refuse service to anyone, and decide what merchandise to sell, I would hope that they would remain a neutral entity when it comes to politics and religion. If they are going to slant their merchandise to deliberately obfuscate other ideas and possibilities than their own, then they take a chance at offending customers. Costco, be careful, drawing your lines in the sand may be a dangerous business choice.

• Ann Ney says:

July 8, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Very simple; I will cancel my membership and shop local. And, I will share this with many hoping they too do the same. Enough of Liberals ruining America.

• Linda Russ says:

July 8, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Boy! Those folks at Costco are such fools!!! lol!! Don’t they know that to ban a book or take it off the shelves, makes it that much more appealing to the public?? They will just go to where it is sold, and spend their money at that place. Sorry Costco, bad move!! But then again, I’m glad to know of another place that won’t get my business!!

• Eric Harz says:

July 8, 2014 at 3:50 pm

The movie is great, the book must be great as well. Their loss, removing a book that could really sell. The book will get out there from other sources. I am thinking Amazon would be a far better partner, and most of us go there anyway.

• Yolanda Ryan says:

July 8, 2014 at 4:27 pm

This is without a doubt censorship. I hope that people that care about their freedom will cancel their membership (already know some friends that said they are doing so). I was considering getting one. Now, forget it. I realize it’s no big deal to them but it’s my choice and I chose freedom.

• C wood says:

July 8, 2014 at 4:28 pm

What are they afraid of?

• Peggy says:

July 8, 2014 at 6:20 pm

COSTCO IS NOT TAKING THIS BOOK OFF THE SHELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT SURE ABOUT ALL THIS TALK THATS GOING AROUND. I HAVE BEEN EMPLOYEED OVER 10 YEARS AT COSTCO AND HAVE LOVED EVERY DAY. WE LOVE OUR MEMBERS AND WANT YOU TO HAVE CORRECT INFORMATION

• Gloria Thomas says:

July 8, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Very disappointing!! I spend a lot of money per year at Costco and I think I may cancel my membership because of this censorship! Sams Warehouse is an option.

• iqdou says:

July 8, 2014 at 7:15 pm

obama.

• Doug says:

July 8, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Peggy, I hope you are wrong, yet the internal book department confirmed the move?

• Lory says:

July 8, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Off to Costco!

• Delores says:

July 8, 2014 at 10:55 pm

I noticed that at our local Costco the shelves were stocked high with Hillary’s book, but no America on shelf. We spend a significant amount each year at Costco between our business and home. We will now only shop at Sams Club, who don’t practice censorship on their books.

• JohnnyGreen101 says:

July 8, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Remember when Costco did not sell coke? Well Walmart across the street was selling it really cheap so we started going there. The service was not the best at a typical walmart but the prices were better than Costco on certain things. If I was the CEO of Costco I would sell the book and if it dosent sell, then send it back is all about the $$$. In fact I would have both D and R books next to each other! Who cares what the agenda is, sell it!

• Tommy says:

July 8, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Rightwingers wringing their hands. How typical. Costco wants to pull something? So what. Get your D’stortion somewhere else.

• Ruth says:

July 9, 2014 at 12:07 am

Mr. Sinegal is obviously a very smart man to have built the successful business that Costco is. Perhaps he became afflicted with Obama’s inflated egotism! I wonder how long Costco can stay in business without the conservatives money. And could he REALLY feel that Obama’s reelection would be better for businesses than Mitt Romney?…..I withdraw my previous comment about his being a”smart man”. That has got to be the dumbest comment I have ever heard.

• Cristy says:

July 9, 2014 at 12:27 am

This has made me so upset! How dare Costco try to tell us this was NOT for political reasons. It is very un American and I am canceling my membership. The movie was amazing. People need to hear the untold version of our history.

• name says:

July 9, 2014 at 3:19 am

Well if corporations can be religious they can be political too. This is the crap that happy lobby is leading to.

• Lee says:

July 9, 2014 at 7:30 am

They have a right to sell what they want, I have a right to not shop there. Sounds fair.

• Bart says:

July 9, 2014 at 7:42 am

Very disappointing….. I like shopping at Costco. I would feel the same way if he was pulling Hillary’s book, censorship is always bad, let your customers decide what is valid on the shelves with their dollars. I have three teenage boys, the deals and quality of product are great, feeding three boys is a never ending job 🙂 But I also have three teenage boys that are very active in the news and the world they live in, I am sure they will read about this. If I keep going to Costco, putting my head in the sand, what message am I sending to them…. Will need to discuss with the wife and choose our path.

• Michelle says:

July 9, 2014 at 8:05 am

Shame on Costco

• James says:

July 9, 2014 at 8:24 am

Censorship by The Grand Mufti, elPresidente Barrack Hussein Obama. The Fourth Reich raises it’s battered little head by stretching it’s crooked little neck.

• Nicole says:

July 9, 2014 at 10:48 am

Removing this book from Costco’s shelves will simply bring attention to the book and cause many more copies to be sold than if they had said and done nothing.

• Gary says:

July 9, 2014 at 10:51 pm

I guess Costco & American Express got the hint, the book is comming back.

• Richard Davis says:

July 10, 2014 at 11:11 am

Sorry Peggy, too little too late. The ONLY reason they decided to put it back was because of the blowback they got by Irate Americans like myself. I’m sure that the liberals at corporate were shocked. I’ve Been a member of Costco since 2007, well I WAS a member because I cancelled yesterday, my father cancelled yesterday, and the American Express gal told me that their phone had been ringing OFF the hook with people who had AMEX cards who want to reinstate the AMEX portion, because they had cancelled their Costco memberships which was tied to their AMEX cards. I reinstated the Amex, but not the Costco, and I’ll NEVER step foot in a Costco EVER again.
    The fact that they reinstated the book is MEANINGLESS, it is the initial censorship that burns me Peggy. Get it? And Gary it wasn’t AMEX, it was just Costco who cancelled the book, so don’t fault Amex, they had NOTHING to do with pulling the book.
    Bart, I’m urging you to Cancel. If you don’t, you’re not operating on your principles. I LIKED Costco a LOT, but I’m not letting them get away with this crap. This is UNAmerican and it proves that Costco Management are liberal control freaks, who think they can operate like this lawless Pres, and his Gestapo Administration. DO cancel and go to Sam’s. They have the same deals on Everything.

I’m sticking by my principles. I hope Costco suffers HEAVILY. Bye Bye Costco, Hello Sam’s Club

• Bill Gilbow says:

July 10, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Plan to cancel membership

• Quin says:

July 12, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Imagine an American chain store that bans the sale of a movie–a movie that celebrates and honors our country. That’s just plain scary.

• Quin says:

July 12, 2014 at 11:57 pm

The movie was even better than I thought it would be. Beautifully done, Dinesh. Thank you!

• Charles Nicol says:

July 13, 2014 at 7:48 pm

As a long time Costco member, I was unaware of the company’s liberal, socialist leanings. Sinegal is obviously detached from reality and even though he is not directly involved with Costco currently, his influence remains. I will pulling my membership and will no longer be supporting Costco, especially when more viable options such as Sam’s Club and BJ’s Club remain as less biased providers of retail merchandise. How stupid of Costco to back a Marxist in the world’s largest capitalist economy! I will also make sure my network is aware of Costco’s leftist leanings.

• mistie says:

July 14, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I asked about America the book at my local COSTCO and was told that they were no longer carrying it. I also asked two people who work there and they said that they heard that Costco did pull the books off the shelves. I asked if COSTCO was going to put the books back on the shelves, and they answered that they didn’t think so. Just because owners of CCOSTCO are all liberals, and maybe something else, and great supporters of Obama, it isn’t right to censor material because of their individual views. THAT IS VERY BAD BUSINESS FOR A COROPORATION AS BIG AS THEY ARE. Oh, but I did find Hillary Clinton’s book on the shelve. So the reason for pulling AMERICA from the shelves, because it was not a best seller, doesn’t cut the mustard. If COSTCO just checked the with other bookstore, they would have found that it one of their top 10 best sellers, whereas HIllary’s book is below No. 16 on the list of sellers. SO COSTCO STOP CENSORING. I have purchased books from COSTCO since they started here in California. In fact I was fathered in because I was a member of the PRICE CLUB. If COSTCO is going to sensor products because of their liberal beliefs, I then no longer want any part of their business, nor will I no longer spend over $1,000.00 each month in their stores. They are losing a real customer!

• Jim McCormack says:

July 14, 2014 at 5:12 pm

I hope a Word document I just composed will post here. Speaks for itself…

Costco – America Book Experience

My name is James (Jim) McCormack. I am 69 years old and have been a Costco Member for almost twenty years with almost all my interactions shopping at Costco being good to great except for the following:

Background:

Because I have developed a keen interest in learning about the internal and external challenges faced by America, I seek my information from both broadcast and print media.

I channel surf among CNBC, CNN, FOX, CSPAN, and other TV/Cable news sources. Plus, I listen to talk radio where again, I surf for differing opinions.

From print I have read both liberal and conservative publications (recently… Saul Alinsky’s 12 Rules for Radicals, The O’Reilly Factor, Men In Black, Liberty and Tyranny) as well as whatever news magazine’s come my way (usually speed reading Time Magazine, Business Week, etc. at doctor visits).

Recently, I heard a media report that an alleged ‘conservative’ book, “America: Imagine a World without Her” by Dinesh D’Souza, had been pulled from Costco’s shelves ostensibly due to its conservative theme that runs contrary to the current administration’s progressive philosophy and behaviors. It was alleged that James D. Sinegal, Founder of Costco, had influenced that decision but Costco claimed the book was pulled due to ‘poor sales’…a decision made by Costco book buyers.

However, media news sources further mentioned Mr. Sinegal’s significant support of the Democratic Party, including his personal hosting of fundraising for President Obama, may have had an influence upon those book buyers’ decisions. When I heard that, I filed it away in memory as more politicized rhetoric since he has the liberty and a right to choose party affiliations.

My Story:

Wednesday, July 9, 2014: I was at the Costco Wharton, NJ store to purchase food for a BBQ. On my way to the cashier I saw “America: Imagine a World without Her” at the book display. It was the only copy (!!?) on top of an extensive display of Hillary Clinton’s book (how does that happen?). I immediately purchased it in hopes of understanding its message and becoming more informed.

Unfortunately, I was rushed and left it in the shopping cart child seat and did not realize my mistake until later that afternoon whereupon I immediately called the store. Fortunately, the book had been returned to the ‘service desk’ and a Costco representative told me the book would be there any time after 10AM the following day ‘waiting for me’.

Incredibly, the following morning when I arrived at approximately 11:30am, I was advised the book was not at the service desk and most likely had been returned to the book display per ‘Costco policy’! This was in spite of the promise above. I was requested to go to the book display to find the book but it was not there. Understandably, I was quite angry and advised the store assistant manager I did not want my money back (he did apologize and offer that) but that I wanted the book I had already paid for!! No one offered to neither search for a copy from another store nor seek direction from Costco HQ. I was angry and decided to seek help from Costco HQ on my own.

Good News: I waited until Monday, July 14th to pursue this matter as I wanted to be calm when I spoke. After several calls, I spoke with ‘Grace’ (ID# 1624i) who actually took the time to search and locate 3 copies at the Westbury, NY store. She gave me the store manager’s name. When I called I spoke with ‘Joe Tierney’ who was also great with his customer service. Not only did Mr. Tierney confirm they had started the day with 3 books but that they were down to 1 and that he would go to the floor and see if it was not already on the way to a cashier. Now that is an example of exceptional customer service!
    Bravo…Joe found the last copy and put it aside for me. I picked it up within an hour. Interestingly, he mentioned the Wharton store was now ‘negative one’ which means my original book was sold twice!

Bottom Line:

I take no issue with the personal political convictions of a business leader unless those convictions influence the conduct of employees and their ability to deliver service or product, or both.

However, I do expect that when any employee answers a phone to help a customer, such employee either has the correct answer to my issue or refers me to someone who does.

Since I intend to share this with Costco management, please commend Grace and Joe for their good service.

I will now look forward to another good read (hopefully) while I care for my 100 year old Mom.

Notice: Undefined index: lightbox_gallery_script_loading_point in /var/app/current/wp-content/plugins/lightbox-gallery/lightbox-gallery.php on line 211