Daily Caller: D'Souza "Pleased" To Hear Of Push To Show "America" In Florida Schools

Originally posted at The Daily Caller.

Author and filmmaker Dinesh D’Souza is thrilled that a Florida lawmaker is pushing to air his film America in high schools throughout the Sunshine State.

Florida State Sen. Alan Hays is advancing legislation to make D’Souza’s conservative film America part of the curriculum in 8th and 11th grade history classes. There is an opt-out clause for parents who do not want their children to participate.

“I’m very pleased that Sen. Hays is doing this,” D’Souza told The Daily Caller in a phone interview. “I think the film is an important counterweight to an existing bias against patriotism. By and large, what students learn is not history, but rather a one-sided view. America’s crimes are stressed, while her accomplishments are downplayed.”

His films, 2016: Obama’s America, and America — the fourth and sixteenth highest-grossing documentaries of all time, respectively — are unvarnished attacks on liberalism.

D’Souza, one of President Obama’s preeminent critics, sees himself as the counterweight to a biased media.

“The Michael Moore view of the world is very well represented in education today,” D’Souza continued. “I think America will help create a sense of balance, and give students a chance to make up their own minds.”

D’Souza’s latest film holds that history is being distorted by liberal interpretations, and that the United States has a past worth celebrating. But he doesn’t pretend that the movie is meant to be purely academic.

“I would agree that the film is not a scholarly enterprise,” D’Souza conceded. “If you attempted to make a purely scholarly film, people would get up and leave. My film tells an educational and emotional story that also happens to be scholarly. A film gives us a feeling of what something was actually like.”

But is it propaganda?

“Propaganda means that you are forming a message with no regard for the good arguments on the other side,” he replied. “In America I state both sides of the argument and let it flow as smoothly as I can.”

“I am representing both sides of the spectrum, however I don’t deny that the film has a point of view.”

D’Souza is currently serving out a prison sentence, of sorts — he’s required to stay in community confinement each evening, but is free to travel during the day — after copping to a 2012 campaign finance violation. He spoke to TheDC from the confinement center.

While acknowledging his guilt, D’Souza has regularly wondered aloud whether he was targeted for his politics.

“I was told that FBI agents were assigned to my case, just to go through everything I ever wrote with a fine-tooth comb,” D’Souza explained. “You are facing a very powerful juggernaut on the other side. But despite this, I told myself that whatever happens to me, my public voice would not be silenced in any way.”

D’Souza will be released from community confinement in San Diego in May. The experience, he says, has changed him.

“I am working on a new book for this summer that will draw upon my experiences and reflection in here,” he revealed. “I am probably one of the only outspoken conservatives who finds himself in this new world.”

“I now sleep overnight with 115 guys who have just come from prison,” D’Souza said. “Their crimes range from murder, to rape to armed robbery to drug smuggling. It’s a world I normally would have very little feeling for, but I’m getting to know it quite well. It allows me to think in a different way, and to say things in a book that would be different from what anyone else has to say.”

Confinement hasn’t kept D’Souza away from Washington’s ongoing battles. He told TheDC that Obama has done very little to stop the spread of terrorism.

“That doesn’t mean I think Obama is a secret Muslim though,” he cautioned. “Sometimes I try to envision that guy praying five times a day and it’s hard for me to believe that he does. I think he would be a better guy if he did, but the truth is that he sees the U.S as a rogue empire.”

“He is quicker to condemn America than to condemn our adversaries,” D’Souza went on. “He will go out of his way to say the Taliban is not terrorist, and that ISIS is not Islamist. He has to rely on contortions to make this argument, yet he still goes through the trouble of doing it.”

In addition to his work as an author, a filmmaker and a pundit, D’Souza was the president of The King’s College in New York from 2010 to 2012.

He’s highly critical of higher education, and thinks that most professors are not worth the high price tag.

“I don’t think they are worth the money,” he told TheDC, “and the reason is not that they’re liberals or one-sided. The purpose of going to college is to get a job. For professors, that is pretty low on their priority list: they know who they want you to vote for, how you should behave towards women, how to treat transgender students, and what your politics should be.”

“But getting a job is low on their list.”

Read more at The Daily Caller.

FOX News: ISIS Fighters Seize Iraqi Town Near Base Holding U.S. Marines
THR: Florida Lawmaker Seeks Support for Bill Requiring Schools to Show "America"
VIDEO: Obama Wants Christians to Share Blame for Terrorism
AOL: Outrage After Obama Compares ISIS to the Crusades
TheBlaze: After Being Called Out by Soldiers, NBC’s Brian Williams Recants Claim
National Review: Hillary’s High Life
Breitbart: The U.S. Negotiate for Foley, But Released Terrorists For Bergdahl?
FOX News: Obama Sends Congress $4T Budget Replete with New Spending, Taxes

• Gray Jones says:

February 13, 2015 at 3:11 PM

America marks the beginning of a New World Order. Rockefeller’s NWO isn’t, it’s the oldest and most painful game in the universe aka domination. We need only export our Constitution and receive its wisdom…Semper Fi Nam 66-67.

• Jack Marsh says:

February 13, 2015 at 8:42 PM

Considering everything Obama has done to destroy America, no one has labeled him what he is. A traitor. He hates whites, he hates Christians and he hates America. He is a George Soros puppet. He has never held a real job. I doubt his ability to flip burgers. Our congress is to chicken to do anything about it. Very sad.
    Jack, Idaho

• Tom Kopper says:

February 16, 2015 at 12:58 AM

Oh, yes I have! When the subject comes up to put obama on the spot whether e-mail or Facebook. Just like now, I have called him a “TRAITOR”. And sometime have brought up the conditions for accusing him as a ‘traitor’:
      U. S. Constitution………
      ARTICLE II•
      Section 1
      1. The executive power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. (he has well-over abused his executive power with his – innumerable ‘executive orders – my added emphasis)

7. Before he enter on the execution of his office, he shall tale the following oath or affirmation: “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” (he unfaithfully executed……………to the ‘least of his…….” – my added emphasis)

ARTICLE III•

Section 3

1. Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to the enemies, giving them aid and comfort. (undermining the military, lowering the number of soldiers, military equipment, removing chaplains and moral stability. Enemy removed from court-martial to civilian court to allow them to have protection in courts just as regular US citizens. Letting enemy prisoners go free back to their places in enemy countries supporting ‘TERRORISM” – (my added emphasis).
      And have proven that he hates whites, he hates Christians and he hates America. He is a George Soros puppet.
      And one more point:
      Make no-distinction, through out all-of-it’s history,
      “ISLAM IS AND ALWAYS HAVE BEEN RADICAL-ISLAM, (TERRORISM) – (EVIL)
      ! and RADICAL-ISLAM IS AND ALWAYS HAVE BEEN ISLAM, (TERRORISM) – (EVIL)!” Period
      Now, share / spread it!
      They are at war against us,

• Az native says:

February 15, 2015 at 1:59 AM

THE LIES:

The Lies meant to bring down the greatest nation on earth.

The statements made by this imposter in our White House should sound major alarms across this nation with Americans and Christians.

If you slander Islam….. And we are no longer a Christian nation – since when?

“The sweetest sound I know is the Muslim call to prayer”.

Too bad their vicious actions speak volumes.

Obama won’t call on pastors or Christians because he isn’t a Christian. His attacks on this nations founding and Israel seal the doubt. He is a radical Muslim. He thinks the prayers of Muslims is sweet, but what about the horrible blatant sounds of little girls having their genitals sliced and diced or the cries of the beheaded or the cries of little girl being raped to death. I got news for him the cries of the those savagely being harmed are louder than the sounds of prayers to Allah. If he doesn’t think those prayers are drowning out the phony prayers to Allah he will answer someday to the real master in heaven. The atrocities against millions over the last 1400 years scream over the sound of peaceful humming by Islam. Their prayers are cancelled out by their pure evil.

Everyone of his statements are untrue. No Christian or real American would ever utter the lies coming from this administration.

Our country had its problems but we were mostly a peaceful nation until we opened up the doors to Islam. Every nation they enter they cause turmoil and great trouble and strife. It is their heritage, their legacy.

It is not. Let me repeat not a religion. It is a radical tribe of people. It is a extremist cult.

Read the levitt newsletters. For years it tells of how they go into nations and takeover ancient landmarks, destroy them and them erect their landmarks in lands that do not belong to them. Look at Israel.

Look at Britain, France, Bahrain, Somalia, Syria, Iran, Iraq and many more. They do not come to assimilate they come to dominate and destroy. They try to rewrite our history to include them. No. They try to rewrite their history, but they show their true colors everyday. Peace and Islam cannot exist at the same time. They cancel out their peaceful existence with the truth:

•beheadings
    •genital mutilation
    •rape of women and babies
    •stoning

Their nature is violence and the whole world sees it.

Calling all churches, calling all patriots, minutemen, militias, veterans, sheriffs:

Calling all Americans who honor our heritage.

Wake up Americans. Our homeland is being threatened. Christians need to start lifting their hands and praying and singing everywhere.

Do not let anyone remove your ancient landmarks.

Many have no allegiance to our heritage, our God, our founding fathers and founding principles. God keeps telling us over and over again do not let them remove our Ancient landmarks. Our founding documents, our statute of liberty, our Christian heritage, the Ten Commandments, our bible are our ancient landmark that mean something.

This is their MO, their DNA. They’ve been pulling this crap for over 1400
    Years. It is not hate speech. It is the truth. America is great because of our freedom of speech and the Godly values that this nation was founded upon. They are calling evil good.

Comment:
    —as a 75 yr old Vet–I cannot remember a pres. who was more alienated from our Military–more alienated from Law Enforcement–more alienated from Business—more alienated from our allies– or a more voceferous Liar—my educated opinion

• Abu Nudnik says:

February 15, 2015 at 8:39 AM

I don’t believe they are unvarnished attacks on liberalism. Jefferson and Madison were liberals. So was Adam Smith. Stalin was not. Today’s communists and socialists have fooled us into believing they are merely more “liberal” than a liberal. But they aren’t. Liberalism isn’t a set of positions on issues but a philosophy that men of good will can and do disagree on the nature of problems and their solutions, making it imperative that they debate and come up with solutions better than either could on their own. All parliaments, legislatures and congresses are the product of liberalism. The free market is liberalism, as is private property. Liberalism as a political philosophy means every man has a right to liberty and that government’s only purpose is to adjudicate between conflicting liberties only to the extent that it can resolve those conflicts. I am against ceding fake liberals a label they don’t deserve. They are everywhere moved toward tyranny and totalitarianism. I understand it may be a losing cause but I call them “liberals” (in quotes) or “so-called liberals” (without the quotes).

• andy says:

February 15, 2015 at 11:22 AM

i hope and pray the push would go through and adopted by the rest of the states. thank you, Dinesh!

• Ray Downen says:

February 18, 2015 at 3:08 PM

With great pleasure I watched the showing of America at a theater here in Joplin, Missouri. I wish EVERY CITIZEN would see it. I applaud the effort in Florida to have it shown in schools so that students can view it and learn a bit about the true history of this nation. Dinesh d-Souza is, I think, not yet a citizen of the U.S.A. But he surely has proved to be loyal to what has made this nation great. He speaks for every patriot. That he comes from India speaks well for India as well. Christians everywhere are sure to appreciate the good work of Dinesh d-Souza.

• robert Bennett says:

February 26, 2015 at 5:55 AM

The U.S. Congress should pass a resolution requiring the Marxist Obama to watch it every Friday, rather than going to mosque. It should also be required viewing for all immigrants, along with a graded,1,000 word essay (written in English) on why they love America, why they want to be here, what they have to offer, and how America will benefit from their joining The Melting Pot. If they can’t do it, they get a free DVD to take back to their home country, and another try, next year. If they fail the grading process, same thing, but can try again in 6 months. After all, we are the most compassionate and generous people the world has ever known… Memo to Obama, “America is Exceptional” and is a Christian nation, founded upon Judaeo/Christian principles.